- DSLR or mirrorless camera (FX and DX format are both fine).
- Lenses from wide (16mm) to telephoto (70-200 mm).
- A long telephoto like the Nikon 200-500 mm or Sigma 150-600 mm lens. VERY IMPORTANT.
- 1.4x Teleconvertor (completely optional).
- Sturdy tripod.
- Sturdy ballhead or gimbal head capable of holding a 500 mm lens.
- Smartphone or tablet loaded with the PhotoPills app. (PhotoPills app is $10).
- Paper and pencil for taking notes.
- Filters (CPL, 10-stop ND, 6-stop ND, 3-stop soft GND recommended but not required).
- Don’t forget extra batteries, memory cards, and lens wipes.
- Water bottle.
- Clothing to suit the weather and conditions.
- Creativity and a positive attitude.
Highly recommended items
- Flashlight or headlamp.
Due to variable conditions, we recommend bringing multiple layers of non-cotton clothing (Merino wool and fleece are highly recommended), a warm jacket and pants, a warm hat, gloves, warm socks, and sturdy footwear (waterproof boots or hiking shoes are recommended), with lighter layers for warm days. We also recommend bringing a windproof rain jacket and rain pants just in case. A wide-brim hat, sunglasses, and a large water bottle will also be indispensable.