11 replies
  1. Tim hadorn
    Tim hadorn says:

Love your pictures. What type of lense did you use for this picture and what settings did you use? I am just starting out.
    Thanks

• Josh Cripps
      Josh Cripps says:

Hi Tim, thanks for the kind words. To answer your question this photo was taken with a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens on a Nikon D7000. I don’t have the exact settings in front of me but my guess would be something like iso100, f/9, 2 seconds, with a 3-stop soft GND filter to help darken the sky. Hope that helps!

Josh

• Tim
        Tim says:

Hey Josh,thanks for your reply. It helps but it seems like I would need a hole bunch of different lenses to shoot different scenes. What lenses would you recommend to someone that is just starting out and wants to shoot landscapes and nature pictures. I have a nikon D3400.
        Thanks

• Josh Cripps
          Josh Cripps says:

No problemo. Yes indeed, most photographers end up with many many lenses in their quiver to suit lots of different scenes. When you’re just starting out a great lens for landscapes is an ultra-wide angle. I recommend the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 since it’s incredibly sharp and has very good performance.

2. Dallas
    Dallas says:

Great photo as always Josh, huge fan of your work – I’ve gotten into photography recently thanks to your tips and tricks. You made the idea of being able to take stunning photos alot less scary. Thanks!

3. Gaz Evans
    Gaz Evans says:

Fantastic picture put a big smile on my face when i read the conversation you had with Tim as i have the a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 in my kit
    i find you the most inspirational photographer I’ve found on the internet and i was also over the moon when i e-mailed you and you personally replied to me
    Great work Josh

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!