**UPDATE: This internship is currently available to UC Santa Cruz students only due to FLSA, EEO, and liability issues. UCSC students can apply to me directly or through SlugQuest.
I am seeking 1-2 enthusiastic, energetic people to assist in the running of my Santa Cruz-based business. I need help taking care of the day-to-day tasks of running my photography business so that I can focus on bigger-picture projects to expand the business.
Position / Duties
This is an unpaid internship. However, you will receive a real world education in photography and running a photography business. As an intern you will gain an advanced and in-depth knowledge of nature and studio photography, as well as the ins and outs of running a viable photo business. Each week a certain number of hours will be dedicated to teaching the intern about photography and business. This may involve visiting the beach to learn seascape photography, scouting parks for portrait sessions, discussing social media promotion, learning about printing, matting, framing, and sales, and so on. UC students are encouraged to apply for course credit as well.
This internship will consist of a varied and interesting set of duties involved in running a small photography business, such as:
– Assisting at photo shoots and art festivals
– Contacting clients and models via phone and email
– Basic clerical work (e.g. applying for shoot permits)
– Social media promotion
– Making blog posts
– Updating the website
– Matting and shipping prints
– Passionate interest in photography and photography as a business
– Must have access to a camera, preferably a DSLR
– Must live in or near Santa Cruz, California and have reliable transportation
– Enthusiastic, can-do attitude
– Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
– High attention to detail
There’s no experience that’s strictly necessary. That being said, any experience in the following areas would be particularly helpful:
– Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc.
– Web design. Particularly HTML, CSS, PHP, or WordPress
– Sales and marketing
– Customer service
Starting at around 4 hours per week on a scheduled basis, plus hours TBD to assist on photo shoots and at art shows. Additional hours TBD for photography instruction.
If you’re interested please send a resume and cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit and what you hope to get out of an opportunity like this. Email me at [email protected] with the subject “Internship.”