Have you ever wanted to crack open a professional photographer’s head to understand what thoughts are running around inside during a shoot?
Well this tutorial does exactly that. Filmed on location in New Zealand, this tutorial will walk you through an entire waterfall shoot Joshua Cripps and narrate his exact decision-making process, from why he chose the settings he did to how he narrowed down his composition. He’ll show you all the shots that didn’t make the cut and explain why not. And then he wraps it up with his complete post-processing workflow. This is truly a one-of-a-kind, start-to-finish look inside the creation of a landscape photo.
This is PPT’s first live action tutorial, as well as our first with a dedicated emphasis on in-field photography, composition, technique, and approach. It’s a totally unique style of video course, and we haven’t seen anything else like it out there. There’s an analysis of 42 landscape photos, of what works and what doesn’t for each, and how every step in the process leads to the end result. It’s an insanely jam-packed tutorial, worth a rewatch or 10 just to absorb everything Josh goes over. Even if you don’t shoot waterfalls you’ll learn lots of great lessons on composition, technique, and approach.
You Will Learn:
- In Field Approach
- How a professional photographer approaches a scene to analyze what’s important and what’s not
- How to identify potentially engaging compositions and to discard ones that don’t work
- Tons of compositional theory, from symmetry to visual flow
- What mistakes a pro makes in the field and how to correct them
- How minute, painstaking changes can lead to big results in your photos
- Why to choose certain camera settings for aesthetic and technical reasons
- How to create variations on a theme to ensure you have the best possible photo in the field
- Post Processing
- Global adjustments: white balance, exposure, shadow and highlight recovery, improving local detail and saturation
- Cloning, Cropping, and other clean up
- Intelligent dodging and burning
- Quick, accurate mask creation
- How to create atmosphere and mood
- Tons of keyboard shortcuts and best practices
- And much more