About This Tutorial
The ability to selectively edit an image via layer masks lies at the center of Photoshop’s editing power. But masks are only as good as the selections used to create them, and if you’re not taking advantage of all the amazing selection tools in Photoshop’s arsenal then your images aren’t going to be as beautiful as they should be. Follow along with this tutorial to learn incredible techniques to take your selections and processing to the next level.
What You’ll Learn
This course is broken into 3 chapters for easy digestion, and includes full resolution photos for you to edit along with the video:
- Chapter 1, Part 1 – Fundamental Selection Skills, 21 min: Learn the most vital skills for creating selections, understand how selections behave and interact with one another, and lots of workflow and keyboard shortcuts for dealing with selections.
- Chapter 1, Part 2 – Basic Selection Tools, 27 min: Understand the selection tools which are built into Photoshop and which are most useful for landscape photography. Learn to refine masks and selections, adjust individual sections of an image and create instant selections with Quick Masking.
- Chapter 2, Part 1 – Color Channel Selections, 18 min: Learn to use color channels to easily create intricate, detailed selections and masks. Understand the principles of good selections and novel techniques for refining masks even further.
- Chapter 2, Part 2 – Editing Masks Non-Destructively, 11 min: More applications of the color channel selections technique. Learn how to preserve masks non-destructively to edit and re-edit without having to start over.
- Chapter 3, Part 1 – Light/Dark Contrasts and Apply Image, 14 min: Learn how to use light/dark tonal contrasts to create intricate selections and masks with the Apply Image command. Target and refine masks for editing precision.
- Chapter 3, Part 2 – Alpha Channel Selections (Luminosity Masks), 16 min: Understand how to create light and dark alpha channels / luminosity masks to target specific tonal regions for precise and repeatable image adjustments.
- Chapter 3, Part 3 – Putting It All Together, 20 min: Utilize the many techniques learned in the tutorial for a final, comprehensive image editing experience.
All content provided in this tutorial is copyright me, Joshua Cripps. Please use the enclosed photos only for your own education. That is, don’t upload the photos to Facebook, flickr, Instagram, 500px, or any other similar service, because that would make me sad. Thanks again and enjoy the tutorial!